Thursday, August 06, 2009

Pride and City

Pride (In the Name of Love)

A song that is near the top of my list of favorite U2 songs (don't ask for the list or you will get WAY too many! HA!) This song is clearly about Martin Luther King (and possibly Jesus).

"Early morning, April four
Shot rings out in the Memphis sky.
Free at last, they took your life
They could not take your pride."

When I thin of this song I think of President Obama's inauguration concert. U2 performed this song on the very spot that MLK gave his "I Have a Dream" speech. I cannot imagine how the band felt playing on that very spot and watching MLK's Dream come true with our new president.

In light of President Obama's recent birthday (on the 4th), I found a video of this performance.



City of Blinding Lights

And since I missed posting yesterday, this video is a two in one. U2 also performed the song "City of Blinding Lights" as it was a song that Obama used during his campaign.

Let me tell ya, if you see them live in concert this song tops the charts on the frakking amazing list! I won't go into detail here in case you want to experience it live yourself (if you were lucky enough to get tickets!). But if you are curious as to what I am talking about you can click here and it will redirect you to a video... Of course, it doesn't even compare to what it's like seeing it live.

No comments: