Friday, March 12, 2010

Lesbian? Well, then no prom (wtf?)

The title of my post links back to a story a friend of mine recently shared on Facebook. In short, a girl was going to bring her girlfriend to prom and wear a tuxedo so the school board canceled prom! And kids are upset with the girl and not the school board!!! I'm not sure how sexual preference ties into prom. Who the heck cares who brings who to prom - what if a guy brings two girls? Will they cancel because they might have a ménage à trois right on the dance floor?!? It baffles me that the school board thinks that this is somehow a solution to the so called "problem." I have no idea what kind of "lesson" it teaches besides ignorance and hate.

It's utterly amazing that there are so many ignorant people out in the world - makes me wonder if they could function outside of their little bubble of reality.

1 comment:

Jes (Falk) said...

I read about this in Salon, and I was dumbfounded. If we're thinking of the same story (God, I hope there's only one!), I read that the school changed locations of the prom after re-inviting the lesbian couple. So the couple attended 'prom' with something like 7 other people, and the real prom was elsewhere. Is this not insane???