Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bono's severe injury causes concert postponement

On Friday, May 21 Bono went to the doctor after experiencing some paralysis in one of his legs. He underwent immediate back surgery for a herniated disk.

U2.com posted an article where the doctor revealed details of the surgery:

"Bono was referred to me by Dr Muller Wohlfahrt late last week with a sudden onset disease. He was already in severe pain with partial paralysis in the lower leg. The ligament surrounding the disc had an 8mm tear and during surgery we discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal. This surgery was the only course of treatment for full recovery and to avoid further paralysis. Bono is now much better, with complete recovery of his motor deficit. The prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result, he must now enter a period of rehabilitation."

Bono was released from the hospital yesterday and according to a skype session The Edge gave U2.com, he's recovering well. The Edge also threw in a few light hearted jokes (at Bono's expense) which really makes me believe that everything will be ok.

Oddly enough, this has made me realize how lucky I am to be old enough to have seen 6 U2 shows and experience the difference that Bono has made in the world though (RED) and ONE. For some reason, my mind viewed Bono as being immortal in a way; invincible. Today I wore one of my (RED) shirts - it's apparent that I cannot stop thinking about this horrible injury. And I know I'm such a nut, but it makes me sick to the core to think about something horrible happening to any of those guys!

Next tour I am taking my little man with me to the concert with some noise muffling ear phones. Seeing U2 is something he's grown to want to do desperately over the last few months. Thankfully U2 has already started in on their next album so and a tour will follow that - crosses fingers - prayerfully so.

Bono, rest up so you can come out to the world at full force. Sending prayers and healing vibes...

No comments: